Sunday, December 2, 2007

Everyone's a Little Bit Jewish

I've never actually been inside a synogogue.  That is, until last night.  Now before anyone goes running to tell Ceil I'm converting, I was seeing a show. It was called "Neil Berg's 100 Years of Broadway."  Cause....you know I don't hear enough showtunes.  It was actually a bit of a misnomer considering that about 95% of the songs were from the sixties, so it really could have been called "Four Years of Broadway...and that One Billy Joel Song".  Anyway...it was a private function for the synogogue, but I went with my friend, Dana, because his friend, Carter Calvert was in from New York performing in it.  It was a REAL TREAT!  I love watching other people perform.  Especially when you know they've song those songs one hundred million times before and secretly would rather birth a calf than sing them again.  But, there were some great voices and the audience really seemed to enjoy it. They were all, of course, about 97 years old, but that's about par for the course.  Carter was GREAT!  We'd never met before, but we have many mutual friends because she's done Forbidden Broadway for years.  She reminded me SO much of Cathy Barnett, it was crazy.

Now, not really knowing much about being Jewish, I wasn't sure if I was going to get struck by lightning or something because I wasn't wearing a yarmulka in the synogogue.  They were everywhere.  Little satin ones, elaborately embroidered ones, and even one leather one.  That was weird.  But...I managed to escape unscathed and filled with pilfered dark chocolate covered strawberries.  Tasty.  It was, if nothing else, an EXCELLENT evening of people watching.  My friend and I agreed indubitably, that money, does not in fact, buy taste.  But apparently it can buy safari prints and gold lame.

No comments: